My Understanding

A newbie Christian's attempts to understand.

Saturday, March 26, 2005

John 14

[Read this chapter online at BibleGateway.com.]
[Tagged: ]

In this chapter Jesus tells His followers that when He goes away He will prepare a place for them in heaven, and when everything is ready He will come back and get His followers so that they will always be with Him. Jesus has come and gotten me and now He is always with me. Jesus repeats this point in John 14:20: "When I am raised to life again, you will know that I am in my Father, and you are in me, and I am in you." (John 14:20, NLT)

Jesus emphasises His divinity in John 14:9-11 and later in the chapter promises that He will send the Holy Spirit to be with His followers always and will never leave them. The Holy Spirit will move in and start making changes in us when we follow Jesus. This is the progress we make as Christians, we will be changed by the Holy Spirit living in us and making us more and more like Christ until we go to join Him in His Father's house.

When I became a Christian (which was only just over a month ago at the time of writing this) I felt I had a lot of work to do to bring me up to speed with everything so I could catch up with my Christian friends. I was worrying about my "progress" as a Christian and often if I found that if I couldn't get my head around a particular theological concept I was very upset with myself. I felt, in a way, that I had failed to be a good Christian because I couldn't see the meaning behind something. I thought that progress as a Christian meant learning as much as I could as fast as I could to catch up with the rest of the class, so to speak.

It took me a while to figure out that I had gotten this wrong. Theology's a really interesting subject, but heaven is not just for great theologians. I'm sure as I continue on my Christian path I will gain a deeper understanding of many things that are puzzling me now but even if there are lots of things that I still just don't get, that doesn't matter. My real progress as a Christian are the changes that happen inside me, changes made by the Holy Spirit. I needn't worry about the progress of these changes, I have a guarantee that the Holy Spirit is inside me and the Spirit will change me. I just need to keep following, to pick myself up and dust myself off when I fall and keep following. I will never be left behind. Never.

1 Comments:

At 17 January, 2006 19:37, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Do you believe that God is external from you after reading that? John 14:20 clearly states God is in you, you/we are all a part of the holy trinity. What say you?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home