My Understanding

A newbie Christian's attempts to understand.

Thursday, April 07, 2005

"Fearfully and Wonderfully Made" - Psalm 139

[Read this psalm online at BibleGateway.com.]
[Tags: ]

Psalm 139 is so far my favorite Psalm. I find that it really speaks to me. I didn't come across this Psalm in my copy of the Bible - I'm not up to number 139 yet. I came across this while on Online Guidance, and was so struck and moved by the quote from Psalm 139 there.

I have fairly low self-esteem. I tend to talk myself down a lot, to be blind to my talents and gifts and only see my faults. When that happens of course I start talking and thinking about all my faults and then this turns me into my worst enemy. My worst enemy is a guy who follows me around all day, who is always with me, who never has anything nice to say and only mentions my faults, every sentence out of his mouth is an insult to me. My worst enemy is myself whenever I'm feeling low.

The good news though (or maybe that should be "Good News") is that there is Someone Else who follows me around all day, who is always with me. My worst enemy - my low self-esteem - doesn't stand a chance. God, my Father, Savior and Friend is always with me. What's more, He loves me. My God loves me even though He knows everything about me, He has seen all my faults and failures and He still thinks I am worthwhile. My God thinks I am worth suffering and dying for.

My God made me. Before I was born He knew exactly how my life would turn out. I like the idea that God thought to Himself that the world should have someone like me in it. God was with me in the womb and He will be with me, and still loving me, when I die.

I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made;

your works are wonderful,

I know that full well.
(NIV - Psalm 139:14)

I am fearfully and wonderfully made by God. God planned this whole thing, He knew that I would be shy, introverted and quiet, that is the way My Father made me. His works are wonderful. God has a special purpose for me, I hope to realise what this is and accomplish it by living and following, as best I can, in the path of Jesus and trusting in God. My "worst enemy" can shut up!

4 Comments:

At 07 April, 2005 12:31, Anonymous neuro-praxis said...

Damn straight! Shut the hell up!

I got goosepimples from reading that entry John. :)

 
At 08 January, 2006 08:04, Anonymous Anonymous said...

that is so true....isnt it wonderful that He knows every hair on our heads and that He knows us by name?????? God Bless, thanks for the message.....

 
At 20 January, 2006 03:54, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi John! I went on to the computer feeling low about my own faults and was looking for some bits of encouragement from an irish christian blog site. I found your blog and have been blessed by your sharing your feelings about yourself and by the encouragement you shared in Psalm 139. Thanks again. - a girl from the USA.

 
At 02 September, 2010 09:23, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know this is very2 old post... but thank you very much for this... I have been relistening Christina Aguiilera - Beautiful song when I was just reminded through this verse...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home